TO BE COMPLETED VERY SOON
MDVANII HIGH FASHION WARDROBE
On One-of-a-kind porcelain Mdvanii Dolls
Some absolutely fabulous one-of-a-kind dolls of 1997-1998, all in private collections in Japan, included:
- Enfant gâtée (“Spoiled Child”) for Edie, a gorgeous yellow chiffon and satin dress with bright orange satin bodice and plume trim (she came with a gilt mirror, a birthday cake and a booklet about the horse Mdvanii had offered her).
- Ecolière (“Schoolgirl”) for Edie, with a tartan mini skirt, a matching jacket with contrasting red sleeves and tartan cuffs, a tartan beret, white stockings and red heeled platform shoes. She came with a tartan teddybear, a red umbrella and an exquisite rucksack in leather amongst other accessories.
- Feu de braise (“Glowing Embers”) for Mdvanii, an absolutely stunning variation of the first edition Monaco gown, with full skirt in bright orange satin lined in fuchia, with black Chantilly lace overskirt and pink chiffon stole. Mdvanii wears a blond bob on her short black sculpted-on hairdo.
- Plaza Mdvanii has a very sexy, unusual, above-the-knee length strapless cocktail dress in fuchia silk with black leaves in lace appliqué and gold beads with a huge yellow bow in the back and two ultra fashionable purses. The doll has a rare blond beehive with ponytail, set with a black bow. Included with the ensemble was a dainty pink lacquered leather purse. Ultra Patsy!
- Orchidée noire (“Black Orchid”) Mdvanii, has an ultra-sultry evening ensemble comprised of a sleeveless sheath dress in black and gold lamé and black satin bodice with a matching lamé jacket with marked waist, black chiffon ruffles on the collar and cuffs and hemmed with spectacular floor-length layers of black chiffon, creating an overskirt. The doll is wearing a generic, short black bob on her short gold, sculpted-on, hairdo.
In this series of Mdvanii are also included the ravishing Nuit Hindoue and Bibi, two splendid one-of-a-kinds.
Another series of just a mere 10 unique examples, all SW Japan Exclusives of 1998, you can see Mdvanii, Dheei and Soraya compete in elegance and glamour. It's impossible to list all of them, some are:
- La Lune et le Soleil (“The Moon and the Sun”) Mdvanii, a truly perennial beauty, in a variation of the Scène de Cinema evening gown, with silver snakeskin like lamé and a sumptuous low décolleté in shimmering purple taffeta, largely uncovering the back, with 18th-century style black velvet lace over-skirt. The doll has a strict, gold, sculpted-on hairdo with black velvet hair band, black lace mittens and rhinestone jewelery. The name La lune et le Soleil refers to the association of silver and gold.
- Hésitation Mdvanii wears a very elegant day ensemble comprised of a brown satin sheath dress with chimney collar, a belt, a cloche cape in pale blue tweed enhanced by two huge buttons, très Balenciaga indeed, and a white lacquered crochet hat with flowers. As indicated with the name of this stylish ensemble, she hesitates between five different hats in various eccentric moods: African tribal, Cardin-style felt helmet, Canadian-style hat with fringed brim, she bought them all! Stockings, beauty case, jewelery, white lace gloves and a stunning sculpted-on hairdo in a rare shade named Champagne rosé .
- Petit Trianon Mdvanii. This variation of Vernissage from 1989, all in pale pistachio ice cream chiffon, is a cocktail summer dress for Mdvanii which beautifully unveils the shoulders. It has a full skirt and matching jupon, a pale violet chintz bow with embroidered red and orange flowers. White stockings with embroidered flower motif, also present on the panties (very unusual on Mdvanii!). Matching neck ribbon and a beautiful sculpted-on hairdo in the1920’s romantic style , enhanced with glass flowers.
- Joli tricorne (“Pretty Tricorn”) Mdvanii. Humorous and witty, this simple but sophisticated A-line mini dress is made in a printed cotton reproducing an authentic 18th-century print (from the specialized Braquenié House in Paris), trimmed at the hem and collar with a brown fur-like band. The doll wears white stockings, red platform shoes, a lovely tricorne trimmed in matching fur-like band, a matching bag with gold chain strap, as well as a red umbrella with matching fabric trim. She has a lovely sculpted-on white hairdo and make up, both in a very Marie-Antoinette 1920s revisited style.
- Icône Mdvanii with sculpted-on hairdo, a very unusual folklore-inspired fashion dress (in the spirit of 1930’s high fashion as well as Yves Saint Laurent’s Russian collection) for Mdvanii with Belle-Epoque-style black folklore-couture lace appliqués on a yellow silk sheath with black satin bodice. The back has a deep décolleté covered in lace. The dress is worn with a Russian-style apron with bright-coloured motifs and a dramatic short cape with a fake fur trimmed hood in baroque, embroidered patchwork fabric. The long gloves are mittens in black lace. It came with a Russian-style enameled Très cloisonné teapot which BillyBoy* bought in Russia>.
- Plume d’Or ("Gold Feather")Mdvanii. A very Inca look for Mdvanii, wearing a black and gold thread crepe sleeveless evening skirt, with matching sleeveless tunic, gold and grey velvet belt and a fabulous gold metal and rhinestone feather necklace (made from a real vintage Chanel earring) matching her sculpted-on gold feather hairdo. She is topped by a stunning, very high, black plumed hat and holds a Schiaparelli-inspired telephone handbag, like the original in BillyBoy*’s fashion collection. Long gold lamé gloves, jewelery, lace panties, cuffs and gold shoes.
- Cabourg Mdvanii. Named after the resort place near Deauville in Normandie, this sensational Mdvanii evokes women in Boldini paintings from the beginning of the century. The bias-cut old rose satin sheath gown is entirely covered with lace appliqué and has a short train with black beaded lace and brown velvet flat bow. The lace sleeves have beaded cuffs and the neckline is lavishly beaded. The doll wears a big 1900’s-style hat in starched straw with black lace appliqué, feather and a big hat pin. She holds a glamorous réticule purse and wears salmon pink gloves. Her make-up combines black eyebrows and blond real human hair hairdo with an elegant chignon covered with a mantile.
- 2 Blue 2 be True Dheei. This dramatic evening dress for a rare dark porcelain Dheei combines two different blues: midnight blue for the sheath dress (with silver chain straps), tulle flounce starting from the thighs, turquoise blue silk for the stole, with lace appliqué on one half making it a darker blue, edged in transparent beads. “Lido”-style sculpted-on hairdo, purse, dazzling gold jewelery and glamorous "fashion slave" (don’t look for hidden meaning here!) gold chain and gold painted-on soles (to be worn without shoes).
- Enfin! (“At Last!”) Dheei. It took Dheei quite a while to be finally ready to go out to this grand opening, but what a result! This strapless evening sheath gown is entirely embroidered in turquoise sequins and lace, with a caca d’oie-coloured (“Goose Droppings”) feather boa! Matching purse, jewelery and a short shiny black hairdo à la [pop=106]Josephine Baker/pop]: The Bakerfix) effect! It is fascinating to know that this fabric was initially used to make a prototype gown for the first Barbie doll he had designed for Mattel (which was not produced because it was considered too luxurious at the time. To be seen in DOLLS). The exclamation “At Last!”certainly was a way of saying that this exquisite fabric is “At Last” used on a doll and also that the doll, which was the last one of the collection, could at last be sent to the exhibition in Japan, for which she was a little late!
Design by Lefty© Fondation Tanagra